Friday, September 24, 2010


So I left off with getting ready to go into surgery for my lap band and for those of you out there who don't know what a lap band is it's in laymens terms like a tire with an inner tube.  The hard plastic "tire" goes around the upper portion of the stomach and the "inner tube" can later be adjusted via a port placed under the skin to further restrict the food intake.  I was like most people I think just plain nervous about having surgery as this was my first major surgery even though it was still laproscopic.  I didn't think much about actually having the band put in.  I went through the whole process saw the surgeon and anesthesiologist.  I think my biggest fear was actually having the tube put down my throat.  I have always had nightmares about not being able to get it out because I can't breathe on my own.  I guess I'm just weird!

I went in for surgery at about 130 in the afternoon.  The next thing I remember is being told it was all over and the recovery nurse telling me that they don't use that kind of language in the recovery room.  All I can say is I cannot be held accountable for things that I say under the influence of drugs!  I really didn't think much about the whole post operative process.  I wanted to go home but unfortunately I was there for the night.  I had some wonderful nurses and techs take care of me during my 26 hrs in the hospital.  Pain was good and I didn't have to take much pain medication which was a good thing as I had never been big on taking that stuff.

I guess the first thing would be to say that when you first eat after having the weight loss surgery all it is is liquids, clear liquids to be precise.  I got tired of jello and broth pretty quick and wanted more to eat but that was not a possibility.  It didn't really hit me that this was all for real and that I was being forced  into a new lifestyle with eating.  For those of you who do read this the real truth is that weight loss surgery is just a tool that helps with losing weight it doesn't do the losing for you.

The first couple of weeks were pretty easy.  I was off of work so I could focus on healing and getting better so that was a bonus.  The first week about is usually dedicated to both clear liquids (ie jello, broth, juice) and to full liquids (ie. plain yogurt, milk cream of wheat).  I think the hardest part about that whole first few weeks was having to measuring everything out and I mean everything except water.  The most that I could eat was just a few ounces at a time and I had to eat every few hours which was another difficult thing for me to get used too.  I am not a big three meals a day eater, I'm lucky if I get one or two but that is the business of my life.  I never felt that I had "buyers remorse" but it was a little tricky getting used to the whole idea of having to change my lifestyle. 

So I went along for the first 6 weeks with eating from liquids to pureed (and yes I really kind of skipped this part) to soft and finally to normal food.  Then the first appointment for adjustement loomed......

No comments:

Post a Comment