Thursday, October 7, 2010

9 months and a baby

For the most part my pregnancy was ok.  I had many ups and downs and if you asked Steve how I was during those nine months he would probably tell you I was completely crazy.  The one thing for me was there wasn't a day that went by that something did not hurt somewhere.  The hardest part of being pregnant?  Watching the scale go back up after I had worked so hard at making it go down.

I had lost 50 lbs before I got pregnant and was told because I had lost that much weight in approximately 3 months that it was inevitable.  I was truly excited about bringing a baby into the world as I have wanted one for so very long.  I couldn't imagine my life without my Aaron now but again that is another post.  The first few months went by quickly and what I remember most about those first 12 weeks was the first OB appointment which we got to see the heartbeat and my chest hurting all the time.  During that time I found out that I wasn't the only one around that was pregnant but for the most part I was one of the lucky ones as I had no morning sickness and pretty much other than my chest hurting had nothing else to really complain about.

The best part of the second trimester....hands down at about 12-13 weeks hearing my babies heartbeat for the first time.  I think during that appointment both Steve and I cried at that sound.  In fact I still have that recording on my phone and I do listen to it from time to time.  It became all too real and I was happy.  The worst part of the second trimester was a toss up between horrible sciatica pain and falling from slipping on ice at about 26 weeks.  Thankfully I was able to deal with both with physical therapy and luckily for me just bruising my hip during the fall.  The sciatica pain if you have never dealt with it before is like someone stabbing you in the butt cheek and the pain traveling down your leg.  I remember having to walk along the wall at work just in case my leg gave out so I would be able to grab onto something quickly if needed.  I also remember the first time that I felt the baby move.  I was at about 18 weeks and had just laid down to go to bed and all of a sudden I felt this wave of bubble wrap in my abdomen.  It was at that moment that I actually felt pregnant as I knew not only from ultrasound that I was I now could feel this tiny little being inside me.

Many of you don't know that I was classified as a high risk pregnancy and not necessarily due to the lap band but more because of my high blood pressure. The first two trimesters I didn't have much to do however the appointments almost tripled by the end of the pregnancy.  I the last month would see my regular OB once a week, the high risk OB once a week and had twice weekly non stress tests in which I would sit in a chair strapped to a baby monitor to see how the baby was doing.  Thankfully all was well and in the end it was well worth it.  I remember begging to be induced at the end as I was so tired and I hurt everywhere from my feet up and my head down.  I think that the only reason I made it to the end was one from the wonderful care of a great chiropractor that I found and the wonderful sanity of my husband.  The best thing at the end was my regular OB on April 29th said to me come to the hospital early tomorrow morning and we will induce you because your blood pressure is just to high for our liking.  So finally on May 1, 2010 at 6:23 in the morning after 23 hrs of labor and finally a c-section later our baby Aaron James weighing in at 8.1 lbs and 21 inches long came into our lives and changed us both forever.

I know that I haven't said much about my weight with this post but I really didn't want to relive it.  In the end I had gained the entire 50 lbs that I had lost back plus about 5 lbs.  I think at my last appointment I had weighed in at just under 335 lbs.  I avoided the scale and refused to look at the number.  I had stopped going to the surgeon as at that time there was no point in going and he told me to come back about 6 weeks after I had delivered.  I ate what I wanted and when I wanted depending on my cravings at any given moment.  I had a little difficulty at the end but I think that was just Aaron causing some problems.  In the end and after some thinking on my part I realized that after all was said and done everything that I had gone through it was totally worth it.  I was extremely blessed with a beautiful little boy who is the joy and love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment