Saturday, October 9, 2010

Starting over

Those first few weeks after Aaron was born are pretty much a blur at this point.  I just remember sleeping when he slept being up at all hours of the day and night and learning that breastfeeding is not as easy as some people think.  Unfortunately for me I was unable to nurse Aaron but thankfully he was able to get the best of me through pumping.  I did sadly end up with a small infection in my incision but that was thankfully taken care of with a course of antibiotics.

I think during the first approximately 6 weeks I completely avoided the scale.  I was incredibly swollen in my legs during the first couple of weeks and didn't want to find out what my weight was.  I had decided to go and see my surgeon at about 8 weeks after Aaron was born.  I do remember stepping on the scale for the first time totally dreading it and pleasantly discovered that I had lost about 30 lbs about 6 1/2 weeks after he was born.

The first doctor appointment with my surgeon I was really nervous as to what the scale would show.  It was great when I stepped on and weighed in at 289 lbs.  I knew at that point two things that I would NEVER be over 300 lbs again and in eight weeks I had lost almost all of the baby weight that I had gained.  I gave credit to pumping and the fact that the baby kept me so busy that there were days that I barely ate.  My surgeon was very happy with how fast I had dropped most of the weight but still decided to adjust me.

The hardest part after that adjustment was relearning what I could and couldn't eat and how fast I could eat it.  I had gotten used to being able to eat pretty much whatever I wanted so it was really difficult at first readjusting to the lap band life.  There were days that I couldn't eat anything except liquids so I tried to make the most of it and made myself protein drinks so I could get not only the protein but calories so I didn't go completely hungry.  I tried to start stepping on the scale once a week just to keep tabs on my weight loss and I did go down a few pounds at a time each week which was a good thing for me.  I really enjoyed the comments that I was looking good and liked people noticing that my weight was going down.

I realized that basically I was starting over like I had just had surgery all over again.  I knew that my thoughts and feeling towards this surgery were going to change again and I would come to find out how much I both loved and hated this thing that was around my stomach controlling me and my food intake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment